I don’t know what triggered my motivation to make home made pasta tonight. Maybe because it was a weekend night and I had a lot of time on my hand, or maybe I have been dining out for the past 5 days and I wanted a 100% home made meal… What ever the reason is, I am glad I got motivated enough to bust out my pasta roller from back of the pantry, because the pasta came out… pretty darn good in my opinion. And it satisfied my home made meal cravings.
FRESH PASTA Makes at least 4 servings
1 Cup Unbleached White Flour
1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 Large Eggs
3 Pinches Sea Salt
2 Tablespoons Water
1. In a medium mixing bowl, sift white flour, whole wheat flour and salt.
2. Place the flour mixture onto a clean work surface and make a well.
3. Crack 2 eggs into the well and add 2 tablespoons water. Make sure the well is large enough so the liquids do not spill over the flour.
4. Using a fork, break the egg yolks and start to incorporate the flour around the egg mixture.
5. Knead the remaining flour mixture into egg mixture with your hands. Knead dough until smooth and elastic. This may take about 8-10 minutes. Remember, the more you knead the pasta dough, the more gluten will form, which will result in better textured pasta.
6. Cover the dough with an inverted bowl. Let it stand for 1 hour or more, so it will be easier to roll out the dough.
7. Using a bench scraper, divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Shape one of the dough into a square and flatten it so it will be easier to roll through the pasta roller. Start with a large setting and gradually change the setting to thinner one. (I started with one, and went up to 5)
8. Cook the pasta in a big pot of salted boiling water for about 2-4 minutes. Cooking time will vary depending on size of pasta.