My father is a big fan of Oysters, so we decided to have some fresh oysters at Hog Island Co. for Father’s Day picnic. Since it was my sister’s birthday the following week, we decided to celebrate her birthday as well. My sister’s favorite cake is cheese cake and my dad loves rhubarb, so I decided to make a rhubarb cheesecake. (Recipe below).
It sure was a food-filled weekend, because we went to the farmer’s market in Sunset, on Sunday to replenish our fridge. Peaches and greens were so fresh, and are also at their peak right now. We finished the weekend right with sauteed wild rice ,with summer vegetables, caramelized mini carrots, crisp sauteed Tilapia, dressed with mango cucumber salsa. Let me know if you want a recipe for this.
Rhubarb Cheesecake makes 1- 9inch round cake
adapted from allrecipes.com
This cheesecake was very easy to make. Make sure you leave all the ingredients out so it will be at room temperature when you bake them. This is especially important for cream cheese. You don’t want to use cold cream cheese; this will result in lumpy cheesecake. This cake is best if you cool it in the oven with door slightly open until it is room temperature and let it chill in the fridge overnight.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1/2 cup white sugar (I believe you can add more sugar. Mine came out a little tart with 1/2 cup of sugar.)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter. (Adding 1/2 cup of chopped pecans will add a great flavor and crunch to the crust).Mix until crumbly and pat into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the chopped rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon flour. Pour onto crust. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Pour over hot rhubarb in the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until filling is set. Cover with sour cream topping while still hot.
- To make the sour cream topping: In a small bowl, combine 1 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well and spread on top of cake.